Zendesk has added a new custom field type that allows you to establish relationships between tickets, users, and organisations. You can create the relationship with the new Lookup Relationship custom field.
For more detailed information on the Lookup Relationship field check out the Zendesk article here: Using lookup relationship fields
We're going to show you how to create a lookup relationship field by creating a Store Manager field which will display Users who are a manager of a store.
This article contains the following topics:
- Creating a Lookup Relationship field
- Adding the lookup field to the ticket form, user or organisation profile
- Example in action
- This field is currently only available for agents only.
Creating a Lookup Relationship field
- Navigate to Admin Center, click Objects and rules in the sidebar, then select Tickets > Fields.
- Click Add field and select Lookup relationship as the field type.
- Set the Display name and Description (optional)
- Set the Related Object Type
- Object Types = Type, User or Organisation
For example, if you select User as the related object, the lookup relationship field will display a list of Zendesk users.
- Click Add Filter to define one or more filters to reduce the number of options that the field can display.
- You can filter objects by any number of tags or custom fields. For more information, see Filtering the field's options.
- Click Save.
Below is an example of a lookup field created to show a Store Manager relationship on tickets. In order to filter this field to only show users who are tagged as a store manager, we're utilising the following conditions:
- Role is end-user = This tells the field to only look at users in your Zendesk who are end-users and not agents
- Tags contains at least one of the following "manager" = This is looking for the manager tag which is present on a Store Manager's user profile inside Zendesk.
Below is an example of an end-user displaying the Manager tag. In this example, Robyn is the manager of one of the SuccessCX Stores.
Adding the lookup field to the ticket form, user or organisation profile
Follow the steps in one of the following Zendesk Guides here on how to add the new lookup field to your ticket form, user or organisation profile.
- Adding custom fields to your tickets and support request forms
- Adding custom fields to users
- Adding custom fields to organizations
Example in action
You can see in the example gif below, that our new Store Manage field is present on the ticket form. We can now search for any users who have the "manager" tag on their profile and they will appear in the new field as a selection.
Pretty cool huh!!